|Healthy Carrot Morning Glory Muffin|
I can rest assured knowing I've gotten my daily intake of veggies. This muffin includes all my favourite things: coconut, nuts, fruit, and veggies. It's filled with fibre too, as you can use whole wheat flour or add flax seeds like I chose to do. Remember the importance of scrubbing the colon everyday!
My mom always complains about my muffins that barely reach the rim off the muffin liner. No need to worry about that with these muffins; they rise nice and tall and have a beautiful dome-shaped top. Smear a little frosting and top with some toasted coconut flakes like Ambitious Kitchen's photo and you've got a presentable gift!
Enough of my blabbering, just go and make these muffins nowwwww~
Healthy Carrot Morning Glory Muffins
Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen
Yield: 12 full muffins
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup ground flax seed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup milk (try coconut milk!)
- 2 ½ cups shredded carrots (about 1 jumbo carrot, or 2 ½ medium carrots)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (or date paste)
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup coconut flakes, toasted*
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, toasted**
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line or grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, vanilla, oil, and eggs until combined. Add in the milk and mix again.
- Mix the carrots, applesauce, and raisins into the wet mixture.
- Add all of the dry mixture, coconut flakes, and walnuts into the wet mixture. Fold until just combined. Be sure not to over mix!
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups with your handy-dandy muffin scooper. Top with some walnut bits or coconut shreds if it pleases you to do so.
- Bake for 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry.
- Cool on completely on a wire rack before attempting to peel the paper liners off, they stick a little bit.
**Please refer to this recipe for directions on how to toast walnuts
Love from Coconut Crumpet's Corner ♡