|Quick and Easy Cream of Broccoli Soup|
It all started when we snagged an awesome deal of two or three dollars for a massive bag of ready-to-eat broccoli florets at our local supermarket. I looked to my folder of recipes on my computer to search for ways to use all the broccoli in time. One should aim to have a serving of dark green vegetables (and orange too!) per day and broccoli is one of the best ways to meet that rule of thumb. Broccoli is packed with nutrients like fibre, calcium, and iron. This soup makes it easy to have a large intake of broccoli in one sitting, yum~
This healthy and basic recipe would make great base for any other vegetable puree soups. Swap out the broccoli for another vegetable like carrots and viola! another soup.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
Adapted From Cooking Light
Yield: 6 servings
- Oil for pan frying
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 generous cups of broccoli florets
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth and broccoli. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes.
- Combine milk and flour, stirring until no lumps remain. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender until desired consistency.