|Coconut Crumpet's 'To Die For' Meyer Lemon Coconut Loaf|
This recipe was created by me, based on a bajillion different lemon loaf recipes I researched. Many lemon loaf recipes call for a mere 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Nononono, that's not enough lemon-ness for me! In my recipe, I added a heaping third cup of lemon juice; that should do the 'lemon' part of its name justice. Also, being Coconut Crumpet, it's important that the coconut flavour shines through too. Coconut oil adds a fabulous aroma, but doesn't contribute much to the tastebuds' experience. Shredded coconut also doesn't add flavour, but gives texture and fragrance (if it's been toasted!) The coconut flavour comes mainly from the rich and thick coconut milk. Not the kind that you get in tetra boxes that substitutes cow's milk in your cereal bowl every morning. The kind that comes in a can. It's much too heavy in calories to drink, but it works wonders to enrich cooking. I recommend you use one similar to Rooster Brand's Gold Label Coconut Milk.
This recipe is definitely Rachel-ified since it's low in sugar and only made with a small amount of healthy fats. Don't worry, it won't sabotage your diet. I'm very thankful that this loaf actually worked; the loaf came out tall and cooked in the time I predicted. Besides the fact I overdid it with maybe more than 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds and my splash of vanilla was slightly too much, the flavour and texture of the resulting loaf is wonderful! Not too sweet, prominent meyer lemon taste, a bit of a crunch from the toasted coconut shreds and poppy seeds, richness from the coconut milk, and even moistness throughout the loaf...mmm~ It was the perfect way to use up the last three meyer lemons sitting my fridge.
I thoroughly enjoyed my taste test of this loaf during school today. Once I get a hold of a real slice of To Die For Lemon Loaf, I shall make necessary adjustments to make this even better. So...without further ado, I proudly present to you (that rhymed!), Coconut Crumpet's interpretation of the To Die For Lemon Loaf!
Coconut Crumpet's 'To Die For' Meyer Lemon Coconut Loaf
Yield: 1 loaf
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 2 meyer lemons
- 5 tbsp coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup meyer lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbsp poppy seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened medium shredded coconut, toasted
- Large flaked shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a custard cup, gently toss lemon zest in sugar to draw the oils from the peel out.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream together coconut oil and sugar until combined. Add egg and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add coconut milk,lemon juice, and poppy seeds to wet mixture and stir until well combined.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and fold until halfway combined. Add toasted coconut and continue to fold until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and top with large flaked coconut.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until toothpick check comes out with moist crumbs. Broil on high heat for about 3 minutes at the end to achieve a golden brown top crust.
Love from Coconut Crumpet's Corner ♡